Today thousands of members of the State Bar of Georgia received their ballots for the State Bar election. I am a candidate in the only contested statewide race, for the office of Secretary.
For some insight into why I am doing this, see:
- Why Run for State Bar Office?
- State Should Avoid ‘Law of Unintended Consequences
- Virtue, or why legal ethics should not be an oxymoron
Active members of the Georgia Bar may vote by mail or online at gabar.org using the individual verification code on the paper ballot.
Both candidates have done roughly comparable amounts of work on Bar committees and boards, and both have core groups of supporters.
However, for whatever individual lawyers may think it is worth, I am the only candidate who:
- Has more than three decades experience as a lawyer, starting as an Assistant District Attorney in a rural circuit and including over 28 years in a broad range of private practice experience.
- Has raised and supported a family by representing clients who are free to choose another lawyer.
- Has peer ratings of
- “AV”(Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory),
- "Super Lawyer” (Atlanta Magazine), and
- “Legal Elite” (Georgia Trend);
- Has led in the conception, drafting and lobbying for legislation with practical benefits in the practice of law.
- Is currently on the Executive Committee, elected by the Board of Governors.
We won’t know the outcome until May 5th, so I’m going to relax about this and get back to work.