Now back to full-time law practice with the benefit of the experience and contacts gained in the State Bar presidency, his practice focuses on high end personal injury and wrongful death cases, with an emphasis on commercial truck and bus accident cases. In addition, he has extensive experience in cases dealing with automobile accidents, defective products, dangerous premises and insurance coverage.
Mr. Shigley selectively handles high end personal injury and wrongful death cases arising from motor carrier, tractor trailer, 18 wheeler, semi truck, dump truck, concrete truck, delivery truck, box truck, mobile crane, automobile and bus accidents, statewide in Georgia, and in other states in compliance with the multijurisdictional practice and pro hac vice rules adopted in those states.
- President, State Bar of Georgia, 2011-12
- Other State Bar of Georgia roles: President-elect, State Bar of Georgia, 2010-11;Treasurer, 2009-10; Secretary, 2008-09; Executive Committee; Personnel Committee (Chair); Disciplinary Board Investigative Panel; Disciplinary Rules & Procedures Committee; Indigent Defense Committee; Electronic Court Filing Committee (Former Chair); Member Benefits Committee (Former Chair); Professionalism Committee; Tort & Insurance Practice Section (Former Chair); General Practice & Trial Section (Board Member); Georgia Bar Foundation (Trustee); Lawyers Foundation of Georgia (Trustee); Southern Conference of Bar Presidents; National Conference of Bar Presidents.
- Institute for Continuing Legal Education in Georgia (Trustee).
- National Board Member, Interstate Trucking Litigation Group, American Association for Justice
- Special Council on Criminal Justice Reform (appointed by Governor Deal)
- Chief Justice’s Commission on Professionalism
- Georgia Commission on Dispute Resolution
Honors & Awards
- Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate of the National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1995-present (one of 20 in Georgia)
- Fellow, National College of Advocacy
- “Super Lawyer,” Atlanta Magazine, 2004-present
- “Legal Elite,” Georgia Trend Magazine, 2004-present
- Listed in Martindale’s Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, 1995-present
- “AV” (highest) rating in Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
Publications, Teaching & Speaking
- Author: Georgia Law of Torts: Trial Preparation & Practice (Thomson Reuters West, 2010)
- Frequent lecturer at Georgia and national continuing legal education programs.
- Multiple articles published in state and national legal journals.
- Former Chair, Southeastern Motor Carrier Liability Institute
- Former Chair, Georgia Insurance Law Institute
- Former Faculty, Emory Law School Trial Techniques Program.
- Won $2.3 million jury verdict in rural Georgia county for client who suffered complex leg fracture in head on collision with truck operated for interstate motor carrier.
- Won $1.2 million jury verdict in Fulton County for woman with head and neck injuries who had consumed cocaine and tequila with the driver of sports car in which she was a passenger.
- Obtained $1.3 million settlement – $300,000 above insurance policy limits — for family of young man killed when rear-ended by tractor trailer on interstate at night
- Made joint damages presentation for group of college of cheerleaders who recovered total of $9.3 million in crash caused by failure of tire on college van.
- Obtained confidential seven figure settlement against auto manufacturer where defective design of antilock brake system led to crash of minivan, resulting in quadriplegia and death.
- Obtained confidential seven figure settlement against manufacturer of sports utility vehicle where defective design of passenger restraint system and roof led to quadriplegia.
- Recovered $1,000,000 policy limit in wrongful death case against trucking company.
- Recovered $850,000 settlement during trial for neck fusion injury against local dump truck company in Macon, Georgia.
- Keep in mind that all cases are different and that prior results don’t guarantee future success
- National Conference of Bar Presidents
- Southern Conference of Bar Presidents
- Lamar Inn of Court, Emory University Law School
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Christian Legal Society
- Atlanta Christian Lawyers Fellowship
- B.A., Furman University
- J.D., Emory University School of Law
- National College of Advocacy program at Harvard Law School
- Executive education program at Harvard Kennedy School of Government
- Married, two grown children.
- Elder, Peachtree Presbyterian Church
- Former board chair of child development center, assistant scoutmaster of Boy Scout troop, youth soccer coach, and board member of a Christian counseling center.
- National advisory board, Children’s Tumor Foundation NF Endurance Team.